Finding a career that is something you enjoy and suits your needs can be tricky. The best advice is to do what you feel you are capable of and what you think you would enjoy as a job.
One of the easiest ways to do this is to “try before you buy”, by volunteering or taking on a work placement. This will help develop skills as well as show you what that particular career would be like and whether it suits you.
If you are a Six Town Housing tenant in Greater Manchester, contact us to find out how we can help you find a work placement, apprenticeship or volunteering opportunity.
Check out our other top tips below to help you find the best career for you.
1. Think about what you enjoy in life and how you could do this in your work life. Take a moment to write down your hobbies and your interests, thinking about how particular jobs could satisfy these. For example, if you enjoy writing or being creative, perhaps a career in writing website content or design work beckons! Ask yourself if there are any jobs you would do for free. While passion for the work you do is only one part of job satisfaction, it’s useful to have to keep you inspired and motivated in your career.
2. Write down a second list of the things you think you are best at. These might not be hobbies or interests, but qualities you have. For example, you might have been fantastic at maths in school, or shown a flair for planning and people skills when organising a surprise party. Think about jobs that might benefit from your skills, and see if they match the first list.
3. If you are still not sure, or cannot think of a list of jobs that match your interests or skills, contact a careers advisor or take an online “career aptitude” test (view several online tests here). This will give you a further list of ideas that you might not have even considered. Our staff might be able to offer you some suggestions too – contact us for more information.
4. If any of the roles on your lists appeal to you, but you are unsure if they are the right careers for you, why not see if you can gain work experience by contacting a company and offering to volunteer. They might say no, but there is always a chance they could say yes. Work placements are another option. If you are a Six Town Housing tenant in Greater Manchester, we may have access to a work placement that matches your skills and interests (contact us here).
5. Find out what experience you need to get the job you want and make a career plan. You might find that you need to work in a role that has nothing to do with your overall goal to pick up valuable work experience and transferable skills. This also shows potential employers that you have a good work ethic and are driven. Apply for jobs in organisations that might offer progression into the kind of job you need, volunteer to gain extra experience, look into what training you might require and keep trying. It might take time, but if you are determined and have a clear idea of where you want to be and how to do it, then you will get there.Back
Do you live in a Six Town
View all the opportunities
available to you
Send your enquiries and
shape your future